So many of us are focused on what we’re eating right now and for me personally one of my challenges has been to lower carbs in my diet. I LOVE carbs but my body doesn’t so I’ve been trying out new low carb recipes to recreate some of our favourites. Today I’m sharing one that’s a hit with our family, this Low Carb Breaded Chicken Recipe which uses almond flour instead of the usual.
I hope you all enjoy this…the Psyllium husk powder is optional totally optional, and it can be found at any health food store. In case you didn’t know, it’s a fiber that’s ground to a fine powder and helps bulk up certain things. So, the chicken is breaded with Almond flour and will work perfectly fine without the psyllium powder… I just find the powder sticks to the chicken skin a bit more and makes the breading a bit more “thick” like traditional breaded chicken.
Low Carb Breaded Chicken Recipe
- 4 chicken legs
- 4 chicken thighs
- ½ cup almond flour
- 2 tbsp. Psyllium husk powder (optional)
- 1 tsp seasoned salt
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp thyme, dried
- as desired pepper
- Preheat oven to 375
- In a bowl, combine the almond flour, psyllium powder, seasoned salt, garlic and onion powder, thyme and pepper. Mix well. Transfer to a plastic bag or container with a lid.
- Drop each piece separately into the seasoning mix and shake it around for even coverage. Do this for each piece of chicken and lay them out on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Bake the chicken for 35 – 40 minutes or until the chicken is no longer pink and the juices run clear.
- Remove from oven and let rest for 5 minutes before serving.